This week’s quilt-along block, Block #16, is Skyrocket, a Ruby McKim design first published by the Kansas City Star on November 21, 1928:
Ruby McKim, of McKim Studios in Independence, MO was a mail-order source for patterns and she also syndicated a newspaper column with full-size patterns in the late 1920s and 30s. Kansas City Star Patterns appeared in three periodicals (Kansas City Star, Weekly Kansas City Star and Weekly Star Farmer) from 1928 to 1960. Early patterns were McKim syndicated patterns but in the early 1930s they began a unique column of traditional and new designs by staff members and readers.
From background, (white in block below) cut 8 — 2 3/4″ x 5″ rectangles
From accent fabric #1 (Yellow print in block below), cut 8 — 2″ squares, and 1 — 2 5/8″ square
From accent fabric #2 (Green print in block below), cut 4 — 2 5/8″ squares
From accent fabric #3 (Pink chevron print), cut 4 — 2 5/8” squares, and 4 — 2 3/4″ x 4″ rectangles
1. On the back of each (accent fabric #1) 2″ square, draw a diagonal line from corner to corner. Join a 2″ square to the corner of each (accent fabric #3) 2 5/8″ square by sewing along the diagonal line. I did mine by chain piecing:
2. Trim seam allowance to 1/4″ and press open. Repeat by sewing a second 2″ square on the adjacent corner of each 2 5/8″ square, to create “star” points. Trim and press.
3. Lay out your four star point units, the center 2 5/8″ square, and the four (accent fabric #2) 2 5/8′ squares as shown:
3. Join into rows, join rows to create block center:
4. The corner units are paper-pieced (foundation piecing). Print your four paper foundations out from here.
5. Use the background rectangles and the accent fabric #3 rectangles to paper-piece your four corner units. From the back it will look like this prior to trimming:
6. Trim your corner units so they look like this (Top is reverse/wrong side, front of unit is shown at bottom):
7. Join the four corner units to your block center. Press. Here are our completed blocks:
I fell in love with this block when I firstmade it for my SewConnected2 Bee in 2009. I used all solids and a slightly different piecing technique. You can see it here.
Sorry that our posts have been delayed… we hope you stick with us! Be assured we are striving to get back on to a regular schedule of posting.